Copper in the water can cause a number of problems, especially at higher residuals and if it is not chelated. Copper does have algaestatic properties, and used properly, such as with copper-based algicides like MSA II and Back-Up II can be a great help in ridding the pool of, and protecting it from, resistant algae types. However, if the copper is not properly chelated, it can cause some or all of the following problems:
- Discoloured Water: Water that is clear with a green or turquoise cast.
- Staining: Copper can stain pool surfaces green, turquoise, grey or black.
Metals can enter the water through a number of sources, such as copper-based algicides that are not chelated, metal in the fill water, and metal from equipment corrosion.
Copper stain removal:
Copper can stain pool walls and bottom turquoise, green, grey, or black. The stains do not brush up easily. To remove or lessen stains:
- Turn the pump and filter off for 8 hours.
- Slowly, and as close as possible to the stain, add 250 mL of Pool Magnet per 10,000 litres. Use larger amounts up to 750 mL per 10,000 litres for more severe stains.
- Leave pump off for 12 hours (overnight).
- Turn pump on and brush.
NOTE: If this does not remove the stain, the pool may have to be drained and acid washed. Vinyl liners may have to be replaced.
Removing copper from the water:
If you are using bromine, check the water balance first. Use up to 5 drops of chlorine neutraliser when checking pH to get an accurate reading. Brominated water will sometimes take on a yellow or green cast if the water becomes too acidic. Increasing the total alkalinity and/or pH usually takes care of the problem.
- Make sure that sanitiser residual is less than 5.0 ppm.
- Add 250 mL of Pool Magnet per 10,000 litres for each 1 ppm metal. Do not exceed 3 750 mL per 10,000 litres.
- Leave the pump running continuously for 48 hours.
- Wait 5 – 7 days after Pool Magnet application, then apply Quick Clear to the filter according to label directions for your filter type and size. NOTE: Do not shock pool or allow chlorine level to exceed 5.0 ppm for 5 – 7 days after applying Pool Magnet.
Green hair, nails and swimsuits:
Copper can sometimes cause hair, nails and swimsuits to turn green. To remove this green tint from hair, rinse in lemon juice, 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water, or use specialised shampoos available at hairdressing salons and pharmacies.